Saturday, March 5, 2011

Short Take - GULF TODAY - Dt. 05.03.2011 - ‘Air’-ing it out

Short Take - GULF TODAY - Dt. 05.03.2011 - ‘Air’-ing it out




While travelling on a plane, we get to meet different people with different attitudes and approaches. Some get along very friendly and some act serious and remain like that throughout. On a flight recently, I was sandwiched between two gentlemen, who had all booked in advance and one even arranged his preferred meal choice.

As the plane took off and I made myself comfortable, I found my fellow passengers engrossed in a world of their own. There was an element of heaviness from both sides, which was not my kind of thing while travelling.

The stewardess came to serve us drinks and food. I found my co-passenger on the left asking for a Gujarati meal, which he had specially requested. The stewardess went in and brought him his special. It was the turn of the other passenger next and although not previously requested, he demanded for a Jain meal in an ‘I-must-get-it-or-else’ kind of tone. Although not available, the hostess said, she would try to get him one from the crew’s stock.

Watching all this, with a mischievous smile, I asked her, do you have a Menon meal. I will be happy to have one, as I feel very hungry and as you say, we serve homely food, so I can opt for it with all rights.

She knew, what I was up to, as did my co-passengers. Saying cheers to me, both started conversing with me, as the stewardess brought me a normal vegetarian meal available in her stock. The whole atmosphere lightened and we had a good flight and by the time we got off, we became good friends.

Ramesh Menon

To read it in original, please visit GULF TODAY online.

No comments:

Post a Comment