Saturday, December 18, 2010

Short Take - GULF TODAY - Dt. 18.12.2010 - Mobile Affinity

Short Take - GULF TODAY - Dt. 18.12.2010 - Mobile Affinity

Mobile affinity


I was recently on a visit to Kerala. It was raining heavily. As I had to go to a forest area, I decided not to carry my regular mobile phone, which had all my telephone contacts. On my way back, I witnessed an accident and suddenly felt the need to contact someone to alert about the incident.

It was at that moment I realised that in my temporary phone I did not have any contacts synchronised. I hardly remembered any required number. Luckily, I was able to remember the number of a friend in Abu Dhabi and conveyed the message and he, in turn, sent an SMS with the required contact numbers. His xtimely assistance helped me take the necessary action I wanted to.

Back in Abu Dhabi, on the first day itself, I happened to assist a colleague who lost his office key while he went out. He had two mobiles and both the phones were on his table, when he went outside for a quick task. His plight was worse as he did not remember even his own office emergency contact number. Luckily, things were sorted out quickly and he was able to recover the phones.

After these two incidents, it made me think and realise strongly, the more mobile we become, the more immobile we end up with. Whatever programming or systematic organising we do, the old book and paper system of recording is at times necessary for important matters.

Ramesh Menon

To read it in original, please visit GULF TODAY online.

No comments:

Post a Comment