Saturday, December 4, 2010

Short Take - GULF TODAY - Dt. 04.12.2010 - On 'write' path

Short Take - GULF TODAY - Dt. 04.12.2010 - On 'write' path

On ‘write’ path

I was with a friend the other day. As we walked discussing several topics, we passed a post box. Suddenly, our topic changed to the tradition and forgotten art of letter writing.

It is Christmas and New Year time and we remembered and talked to each other about the olden days when we used to anxiously wait for the greetings from relatives and friends. Those days have gone and the tradition is already extinct.

What made me interested was the fact he told me about his parents. For the past 20 years, he regularly writes to them every week. Once in a month, he takes a demand draft for their monthly expenses and posts it along with a small note discussing the small things happening with him and at the same time curiously asking what’s happening in their world.

This happens without fail, even though he calls them frequently. He was telling me how happy his parents were when they received his letter and when he gets their thank-you note acknowledging and detailing the smaller things, which gets past their usual phone calls.

I wish I could emulate him. I am sure many others who read this will also envy him.

Ramesh Menon

No comments:

Post a Comment