Friday, August 14, 2015

Hard work - Short Take - Gulf Today - Dt 8th August 2015

Hard work - Short Take - Gulf Today - Dt 8th August 2015

I love to visit Mumbai whenever I get a chance. The place has a lot of specialities, which no other city in India can boast about. First and foremost I value is the way people work hard to earn their daily bread. One will get to find people living and enjoying with even a meagre daily income.

My regular visits have helped me connect with a special friend in Mumbai. I met him six years ago during a rainy season, when I was waiting for a taxi outside my hotel.

Many taxis passed by but I was not comfortable as I felt they might stop in the submerged roads. Then came the old model van. Its poor condition with open windows made it convenient for me to explore my photography opportunities. The driver was familiar with the city and took me around for the next three days.

The rapport continued from then on and every time he was my driver to take me around in Mumbai.

This time too I called him, but he arrived in a different car. His owner had sold his favourite (mine too) vehicle and given him a different model.

While travelling, several topics came up for discussion. I asked him whether he wanted to have his own car one day. He said he was happy with the daily earnings he got after paying a fixed amount to the owner.

With his earnings, he takes care of his wife and children, who live in another state. He said, “I believe in hard work and may be one day I would buy a bigger car to take tourists around. I don’t pray for a lottery win or any other way that I do not deserve.”

I am looking forward to the time when he would drive around in his own vehicle.


Ramesh Menon

To read it in original, please visit Gulf Today online

No comments:

Post a Comment