Friday, April 25, 2014

Precious moment - Gulf Today - Short Take - Dt. 26 April 2014


Precious moment

It was a very short notice call on Tuesday late afternoon from a friend inviting me to attend a function in Dubai. Normally, I do not rush up on things or commit myself to anything not in my schedule. Especially, if it is out of Abu Dhabi. But, when he explained to me the importance of it, I couldn’t resist myself and say no to him.

His son, Rohin Bajaj, along with two other girl students, Anagha Subash and Devayani Sainath, all from Abu Dhabi Indian School, were receiving the prestigious Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Distinguished Academic Performance. He wanted me to be there with him and the other proud parents to witness and capture the precious moment on my camera.

Children are always precious for me and I took off to Dubai, keeping my conscious approach and Safety First campaign always in my mind, Start Early, Drive Carefully, Reach Safely.

I paced myself in such a way that I was there in the auditorium well ahead of the scheduled start and witness the historic moment in the life of those three wonder kids and many other children and academicians who bagged this prestigious award.

In another interesting last-minute call on Thursday, I attended a family union of students from the college I graduated. It was after a long time that I was meeting some of my college mates and brought out memories of our good old days.

When asked to do a short presentation, I asked the audience, especially children, whether I should do so in English or in our native language, Malayalam. Many of the children asked me to address in Malayalam. I was impressed as some parents still inculcate in the minds of their children the need to connect with the mother language.

Ramesh Menon
To read it in original, please visit, Gulf Today online.

No comments:

Post a Comment