Saturday, June 14, 2014

From UAE to Venice - Gulf Today - Short Take - 14 June 2014

From UAE to Venice



I recently had the opportunity to attend the Architectural Biennale 2014 in Venice. Opting to travel from Abu Dhabi, I realised it was a multiple transportation option.

After the long flight to Malpensa Airport in Italy, I had to catch a train to Milan Central. Changing the platforms and hopping on to a fast train to Venice, I could relish the scenic beauty of the Italian countryside.

The place I wanted to visit was accessible only by water taxis. Stopping in between various boat stations, it was exciting to see people getting in and out at each places.

Once at my hotel, it was a different feeling. The scenic view from the window overlooking the canals and watching the gondolas take tourists through narrow water lanes were a treat to watch.

As days passed by, I started missing some things. The routine had changed and my desire to get some Indian food, the small items we get from our super and mega marts, started growing.

I was not successful due to time constraints and non-availability of the restaurants and shops that served them.

I remembered the UAE and felt that expatriates in the country are blessed as there are easy options available to make everyone feel at home, whether it is food, dress or any other.

My thoughts were concurred by an Indian couple from Belgium visiting Venice with their little boy, who was keen to have rice, idly and sambar every day.

Ramesh Menon

Gulf Today - Short Take - 15 June 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment