Monday, March 31, 2008

Woman hunts for Good Samaritan who saved her daughter's life


Woman hunts for Good Samaritan who saved her daughter's life
By Marten Youssef, Staff Reporter
Published: March 30, 2008, 17:12


Dubai: He stopped his car when he saw a screaming woman by the side of the road. She needed to get to hospital with her sick child urgently.

After helping them, the unknown stranger vanished. Now the woman is looking for her "angel", as she calls him, to thank him properly.

Jyoti Rana from the Greens, a 34-year-old Canadian who came to Dubai two years ago, experienced a mother's worst nightmare last Tuesday. Her two-year-old daughter, Sia, had an abnormally high fever.

"My sister-in-law and I decided to take her to hospital. We waited outside our house for a taxi. Two minutes later, I turned around and Sia had fallen flat on her face," Jyoti said.

Sia turned pale and her lips turned blue. She was not responding to her mother's calls.

Jyoti panicked, picked up her unconscious child and did what any mother would do. "I screamed for help. No one stopped. I picked her up and ran into the nearest hotel, but there was no-one. I sprinkled her face with water, but she still did not respond."

After a security guard came to her aid, she was still feeling helpless. The security guards tried to stop several taxis, without success. One of them ran into the street and stopped the next car.

Without hesitation, Jyoti jumped into the car while trying to revive her child. "I wasn't thinking straight. All I cared about was my child," she said.

The anonymous driver asked her which hospital she wanted to go to and without any questions he drove to the Welcare Ambulatory Care Center.

"The drive usually takes 15 minutes from my house, but he did it in less than 6 minutes. All he said was, 'it's going to be OK.' He kept repeating that."

After admitting her daughter to the hospital, she was asked for Sia's health card.

"That's when I realised I left my purse in the man's car. I looked down at the side of the bed and there was my purse, which meant he must have brought it in," said Jyoti.

Sia recovered with doctor's attention from a febrile seizure (fever fit).

"I want to find that man to thank him," said Jyoti.

With very little memory of what the driver looked like, Jyoti recalls: "He could have been Indian or Arab. People told me he was driving a silver sedan. He must have been in his late 20s or early 30s. I cannot remember what he looked like at all, but I am hoping that he would read this and contact me. If it weren't for him, Sia would probably not be here now," she said.

If you know who the good samaritan is or if it was you yourself then fill in the form below, leaving your contact details and we will pass them on.

E-mail : Jyoti Rana can be contacted by email: jyoti@thebigball.org

No comments:

Post a Comment