Thursday, November 22, 2007

Networking matters

Networking matters
Ranjini Manian

There are no strangers in the world, only friends we haven’t yet met.

It was 8.15 am and I was at Frankfurt airport with a five-hour wait for my connection to Denver.

I walked up and down in the waiting lounge observing friends I hadn’t yet met, reading the papers, working on their laptops, drinking coffee, chatting on their cell phones or at least busy looking out of the window. Waiting is no luxury these days, and we all fill it with things to do.

As I did my people-watching, I noticed an Indian lady — the only other one in the room. She was elegantly dressed and seemed vaguely familiar. I walked by, but not before smiling and she acknowledged my greeting.

My mind was saying to me, “Naturally, she looks familiar, she is Indian… silly, but she is busy so don’t disturb her. She won’t like it.” But my sixth sense said, “Wait a minute. Why is she familiar?” So I walked right up to her with an extended hand and a sincere smile, “You look familiar, haven’t we met before?”

“Are you a doctor,” she asked after I gave her my name. “I told you so,” my mind said, “You don’t know her, now you look silly.” But I shushed it and went on to give her a 30-second elevator introduction of myself that I have learnt to deliver quickly.

“I am Ranjini Manian and I run Global Adjustments, an expatriate services company for people doing business in India.”

And then the Eureka moment arrived; over two years ago, she had attended one of our Global Indian seminars in Bangalore on international etiquette and cross-cultural communication strategy. “What a great memory you have,” Larisa Singh smiled.

The story ended with an opportunity for my company to interact with Larisa’s brilliant IT solutions business and to explore providing our services.

This potential business is the outcome of a proactive networking moment which I had seized despite my muttering mind.

What I want to share with new managers in today’s column are thoughts on how we all can seize opportunities as they present themselves to us.

Try these steps for networking the next time you are at a conference, a social occasion or any group situation. If I can do it, anyone can.

Fact 1: People won’t know who you are till you tell them.

Fact 2: People won’t know how good you are unless you tell them.

Fact 3: People are the same, mostly good; don’t let them scare you.

Steps to networking



Be proactive and use sincerity in your approach. Remember, in a previous column we had talked about how India was ranked 123rd among the nations of the world based on who smiles the most.

So we do need to consciously work on this area. Smile sincerely as you purposefully walk up to someone you want to meet, offer a firm handshake and use the moment to make a good first impression. The next two points tell you how to make a good impression.

Practice your elevator introduction piece. Here is where you need to have done your homework.

You need to write a two-line introduction about yourself and your company or your unique contribution to the world.

The introduction should be done naturally when you meet someone for the first time. For instance, “Good evening, I am Ajay Bindra and I am a systems analyst at XYZ Technologies which provides accounting solutions to firms in the US”; or “Nice to meet you, I am Shanta Raman and I am a HR professional at ABC Corporation which makes auto parts”; or “Hello, I am Suzy Fields, I am a freelance writer/ high school teacher/ homemaker supporting my entrepreneur husband.”

Take an interest in their interests. Once you have introduced yourself, then all you have to do is simply listen and absorb. Repeat information you hear, “Oh I see, how interesting. So does your job mean a lot of travel” or “Uh huh, (after she has mentioned being in New York) how was it when you were in New York last week?”

Learn when the moment is over. It may go well and the proof is when you end with an exchange of business cards. Don’t try to transact business here; keep that for later. Sometimes, the interaction may not go very well and you simply know it is time to move on.

People will tell you through body language if they want to end the interaction. Simply stay tuned to signs such as glancing at a watch, fidgeting with keys, shifting eyes or feet.

Simply leave with a polite phrase such as “nice to have met you,” but a closing comment is a must.

If there is an awkward moment, let it not bother you.

Brush-offs teach you to get even better at networking as soon as you handle your first one or two. You are simply free to go and try meeting the next friend.

Follow-up afterwards. A networking situation is not the place to try to push a business deal or get into a detailed conversation. Save that for a follow-up call or e-mail.

If the person doesn’t give you a card, it doesn’t matter; don’t insist that he does. You can always find them via the Internet or the phone book.

If the follow-up is soon enough, they will remember the recent pleasant interaction and a meeting can ensue.

(The writer is CEO of Global Adjustments, a company that offers integrated India destination services and cross-cultural education delivered through the portal www.globalindian.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment