Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Jaywalking on the increase

Jaywalking on the increase 

I would like to bring readers’ attention to the fact that jaywalking has increased on the streets of Abu Dhabi – especially along Sheikh Zayed the First Street (formerly Electra Road).

I find driving in the evening quite dangerous, because people of all ages cross the road at will.

I don’t know why they do this without any consideration for their own lives, but I do know that a lack of fencing is allowing them to do it.

I believe the distance between the pedestrian crossings is too far, so people take the easy option. I also think that some people avoid using the underpass because they feel unsafe doing so.

There should be an official campaign to fine people who jaywalk, and this fine should be increased if the person is talking on a mobile phone or listening to music through earphones.

I would like to see fencing along the median strip and signage to indicate the location of the underpass.

Let’s work together to make safety a priority.

Ramesh Menon, Abu Dhabi

To read this in original, please visit The National Online

For all my readers:

(If you enjoyed reading this post and wish to subscribe to my blog, please go to the left hand side and choose the last 'box' which says subscribe. Also explore the many 'previous articles' listed month-wise on the links above on the left side of the blog. Share the posts with your friends through Facebook, Twitter or other accounts using the buttons below each post. Thank you and best regards - Ramesh Menon

No comments:

Post a Comment