Sunday, September 16, 2007

Mind Speaks - Life without Ctrl C and Ctrl V and Story telling

Life without Ctrl C and Ctrl V

The other day, I was reading an article on Research written by Mr. C.S.V. Ratnam, Director of IMI, New Delhi. In his article, he was mentioning that Indian Business School doesn't seem to make even a feeble attempt to prioritise research. A parallel swim search on the www ocean on a different subject about leading Professional and business schools in India confirmed his statement. Many times we see excessive dependence on usage of Ctrl C and Ctrl V keys of the computer while preparing reports. It is ok to a certain extent. However, blind copying without even reading or proof checking ends up in disasters. This trend will reduce the creative and innovative aspect of knowledge delivery.

Story telling
I am surprised by another fact. There are people out there who think commonly about topics of current relevance. Yesterday, I was writing about passing on the old stories to our younger generations. And today, I get to read about a group of professionals - Kahani Inc - based in canada who are producing animation films based on old stories passed on by generations.

At the same time, I happened to read about Geeta Ramanujam of Bangalore. Geeta has run the Kathalaya Trust for ten years, to promote ‘positive national change through cultural literacy’. She holds workshops in schools, colleges and institutions across India and the world. She has swapped stories with a Cherokee Indian grandmother in Tennessee and with an old Xhosa bard in Africa. You could mail her at geetastory@gmail.com if you want to hear her.

Twenty20 Cricket

The way each match is being played and finished, the Twenty20 form of cricket will soon be the in-thing among the cricketing world. It is proving once again that for this form, we need players who has aggressive mindset without which they will not be able to deliver what they are required to. One player whom I feel sorry in this series is our Yuvraj Singh who has not shown so far fire in his eyes and power in his shots, resulting in less runs for him when he bats and more runs for his opposition when he bowls. Daniel Vettori clearly played a Captain's knock by bowling well to take 4 key wickets for New Zealand. I hope we still have chances to get through to the semifinals if we play aggressive and infantry cricket with killer instinct.

The best thing so far seen is that all the players and viewers are enjoying it.

Crossword Puzzling

Almost every day, I work the crossword puzzle in one of the daily news. Some days, I find that the puzzle seems to solve itself quickly without any effort. Other days, I struggle with each and every answer. More often that not, I will get a few of the clues correct and when I return later, the answers to the very clues that eluded me before seem to present themselves. Once I get one answer completed, often it provides me with the letters that I need to solve the other clues.

I have found that life is a lot like crossword puzzles. Just as the puzzle themes vary each day, so do my "life's" crossword puzzles. I have also found that the ease in solving some of my life's puzzles also varies. It seems that the more problematic a life issue is for me, the more difficult it is to understand and solve for the clues. It is though I have to re-read the clue many times before I can understand what is being asked.

Perhaps I have difficulty with these puzzles because I am unwilling to set aside preconceived ideas of what the answers should be. Or I unconsciously distort the question so that the answer will completely elude me. Fortunately, with the paper puzzle, I only have to wait until the next day to get the missing words and, with them, a better understanding of the questions. Unfortunately, the solutions to life's puzzles don't come the next day, or even as quickly as I would like.
Wouldn't it be nice to have dictionary with the possible solutions to life's puzzles like the dictionary for crossword puzzles? It would be great to be able to look up a clue and the possible solutions. I could select one, see if it "fits" and fill in another blank space in my life. For example, what if I could look up the solutions for "impatience?" Perhaps it would include suggestions like, "to everything there is a time and season." For those days when I don't seem to have a clue as to why I am so scattered in my thinking, perhaps the solutions would include, "where the focus flows the energy goes."

Perhaps that may be another one of my life goals, to think of developing a dictionary to help with the daily crossword puzzle. In the meantime, I will continue to use a pencil and eraser to rub out my mistakes and enter the correct responses.

I would like to end today’s note with the affirmation that “Everyday I will voluntarily tackle the crossword puzzle of my life with the intent to answer all of the clues.”
God Bless and Have a puzzle-less week ahead.

Ramesh Menon
16092007

No comments:

Post a Comment