Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Garbage collector has dream for son

Garbage collector has dream for son
By Zoe Sinclair (Our staff reporter) KHALEEJ TIMES 21 May 2008

DUBAI — More than 40 years ago, Abdul Salaam Azizurahman fled Myanmar after losing his home and suffering under the government.

He could never have imagined that he would be honoured for his hard work by the leader of his adopted country, the UAE, as happened at the Dubai Government Excellence Programme Awards 2008 this week.

Abdul guesses he is about 70 years old, but the hard worker says he will continue until his legs give way.

As a young man, Abdul gained a Bangladeshi passport and came to Dubai via Pakistan.

Abdul took whatever work came his way as a casual street cleaner, before taking the chance to start his own business trading in small items like cosmetics.

The business fell by the wayside and Abdul took a job with the Dubai Municipality where he stayed for 25 years.

Although he retired once, Abdul supports a family of 10, including his wife, five daughters, one son and two grandchildren.

He returned to the municipality where he has worked for another eight years, from 5am to 12.30pm for Dh900 a month.

Never shy of work, he instead says he is grateful to have met his wife and had his family in Dubai.

"I've been given everything here," Abdul said.

"Allah says to work hard and Allah will give you everything."

He was overcome with surprise when he found himself being honoured by His Highness Shaikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, and Shaikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai.

Shaikh Mohammed kept a humble Abdul Salaam, dressed in his orange uniform and white cap, by his side and often with an arm around Abdul's shoulder, for the remainder of the awards presentation.

"Shaikh Mohammed spoke to me in Urdu," Salaam said.

"He asked me how long I've been working here, what I do.

"I like to work because of Shaikh Mohammed."

His moments of rest are spent with his family and he never expected reward except to see his family happy and living a better life. "My dream is to go on Haj. Being a Muslim I have to go on Haj and that is my dream to go at least once and put myself at the feet of God.

“My son is a coolie and I want for him to have a better job. He is a good driver and I hope he finds a job as a driver."

No comments:

Post a Comment