Sunday, August 3, 2014

Listen to ideas - Short Take - Gulf Today - 2 August 2014

Listen to ideas

On a short visit to India, I am touring around various cities like Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Coimbatore and my home town, Irinjalakuda.

While I travel by air and road, I also drive at most places as it gives me an opportunity to cover life in the villages through my lenses.

The situation changes when I am in my hometown and under the umbrella of my aged parents. They do not allow me to drive and the onus is on our family driver Jose to take me around the city.

He is a man of wisdom. Driving around, he has clear ideas on what needs to be done and what went wrong on highway development activities.

The one-way system in Trichur and Ernakulam, the highway medians that occupy a lot of space and reduce traffic flow are some points that require immediate corrective action.

Having worked in Iraq and Saudi for a long time, he is thorough with modernisation. I wish there was a better mechanism where the authorities listened to the voice of common people in India. Just like the “Have Your Say” programmes in many government departments in the United Arab Emirates.

The UAE authorities have been highly progressive and receptive to the voice of its residents. This has encouraged people like me to contribute regularly with ideas and suggestions.


Ramesh Menon
To read it in original, please visit Gulf Today online.

No comments:

Post a Comment