Saturday, April 19, 2014

Don’t be oblivious - Letters to the editor - Gulf News - 20.04.2014

Don’t be oblivious

Last week, I witnessed a horrendous sight during lunch time at a parking spot in Electra Street, Abu Dhabi. From experience, I have always had the belief that drivers on our roads are and always will tend to be careless towards the safety of themselves and other living beings. This was confirmed when I was leaving from an apartment and noticed blood and crushed body parts of some small animals.

A closer look at the area really made me feel sad, as I found three kittens that had been run over and were breathing their last, thanks to a driver who had parked in the location, and then driven off, without any care. There was no one in the vicinity when I approached the kittens and I was having a hard time moving the two living felines out of danger by myself. By the time I brought a small supporting platform to lift one kitten and place it safely on the pavement, another driver came in a rush and ran over the remaining kitten! Convincing him to move his vehicle and taking the injured kitten to a suitable place and caretaker was not an easy task.

I wish our drivers cared a bit more about their surroundings, and paid attention not only to the road but also the obstacles they might come across the whole time they are on the wheel.

World Safety Day is on April 28. Let ‘Safety first’ be our motto - for all living beings.

From Mr Ramesh Menon
Abu Dhabi

Gulf News - 20th April 2014

To read it in original, please visit Gulf News online

No comments:

Post a Comment