Sunday, March 25, 2012

Distracted on the road - My Letters - GULF NEWS - Dt 26.03.2012

Distracted on the road - My Letters - GULF NEWS - Dt 26.03.2012



Distracted on the road

During one of my drives from Abu Dhabi to Dubai I noticed many drivers using their mobile phones to talk or send text messages. I also noticed that many of them drive luxury cars and many are female drivers. In one case, I saw a woman driving with a small child sitting between her and the door, while talking on the phone to someone. I have a feeling that the number of middle class residents using their phones while driving has decreased due to heavy fines. So why don’t the authorities implement a pro rata-based percentage surcharge on top of the regular fine that is based on the type of car the motorist drives, his or her employment or salary? Those who drive such expensive cars are supposed to be educated and should project themselves to the society as an example in terms of being safe on the roads. I am writing this after seeing many drivers either talking or sending text messages while driving.

To read it in original, please visit GULF NEWS online.

From Mr Ramesh Menon
Abu Dhabi

No comments:

Post a Comment