Saturday, January 9, 2010

Fruits of the loom: picking up the threads of an ancient story - My opinion

My opinion - Fruits of the loom: picking up the threads of an ancient story

Fruits of the loom: picking up the threads of an ancient story

The author of an evocative new book A Carpet Ride To Khiva, Chris Alexander recounts his efforts to establish a self-sufficient carpet workshop in Uzbekistan, transforming the lives of a community and reviving the lost arts and forgotten traditions of the Silk Road.

When I first told friends and relatives that I planned to leave England and move to Uzbekistan, people would either look blank, or assume that I’d said Pakistan or Afghanistan.

To read the entire story, please click here.


My comments:
Very interesting story and it is sad to read that, at times it is a global phenomenon by ruling authorities to control progressive measures benefiting the local communities, tradition and lifestyle.

Ramesh Menon


To read my letters to the news, please bookmark and visit Letters to the Editor

No comments:

Post a Comment